And it’s done…

I’m not sure how I feel about the finished product. I do know that I’ve fallen in love with Golden soft gel medium, though. So…hooray for love!

I think the bristol was a good idea, along with the canvas. I needed more coats of paint on the bristol, but it seems like it made more sense for the ravens than the canvas did, due to its smooth texture allowing more light to reflect (as with feathers).

I will be doing more work like this. Scissors are hell on my hands, but I like the idea of what could be.  If you have thoughts or ideas, share them!

Ravens1 (Large)

More progress pics…

I’m cutting out my birds. All but one are made out of canvas. Bristol is my go-to for most things, so I decided to try that and see how it matches up with the canvas birds. I’m not sure about it. Initially, after painting it and putting it against the background, I didn’t like it, but 2 coats of paint later, it might be okay. It doesn’t have the texture of canvas, of course, but I kind of like it. Perhaps mixing materials wouldn’t be such a bad thing?  The Bristol bird is the largest one in the last pic.

B1 (Large) B2 (Large)

 B Group (Large)

The progress pics…

My lady underwent some changes. I lost my knife in the move, so used all purpose shears to cut her out. I’m not thrilled, but this is leaning more toward an experiment than anything, so it’s cool.

The background canvas was one of five that I had mass painted prior to moving. I haven’t fulfilled my intentions with them, so I grabbed one to use for this. Eventually I’ll go back to those, but I’ll save that explanation for another post.

So, here they are.  If you have thoughts, share ’em.  Thanks for looking! 

R1 (Large)R2 (Large)Bk1 (Large) Bk2 (Large)  

It’s not unusual…

…for me to occasionally dabble in landscape-type paintings when requested.

My Aunt Bonnie, like me, loves the sea (I’m certain it’s a hereditary thing). One of the main things she loves: Lighthouses. Aunt Bonnie = Lighthouses…always has. She asked me to make her a lighthouse picture a few weeks ago, so I did a watercolor sketch and sent it to her…and forgot to sign it. She’s a sweet stickler for things like that and demanded I make her another, SIGNED this time. I did, except this time ’round, I used acrylics.

The idea of making tapestries has been really intriguing to me lately so I decided to experiment using canvas. My intention is to slide a dowel rod through the top (replacing that nightmare thing I have in there right now) but keeping the idea of hemp twine wrapped around the edges and used as a way of hanging the painting (plus I think she’ll like the rope look combined with the painting). And, yes, it’s signed! 🙂

The Photo Response Project

In addition to the Self Portrait Project and the Mystery Project, I’m also doing the Photo Response Project – a free project offered by the Art House Co-op.

It needed to be postmarked by April 30th and I will be one day late. At least I finished it!

I should say, though, that I thought it had to be postmarked on the 31st and I thought tomorrow was the 31st. As I discover every year, there are not 31 days in April… *The more you know!*

The Self Portrait Project…

Still working on it.